Sunday, May 3, 2009

All day hockey event?! I'LL TAKE IT!

THANK YOU TODD MARCHANT!

I don't know that this blog post requires more than that.

What a long exhausting game for players and fans. I, for one, love knowing that after 100 minutes of hockey, Detroit fans left dejected.

This game didn't need to go into overtime. I think the Ducks know that. The painfully lame slashing penalty by the reckless Ryan Getzlaf and Detroit is on an early power play. Then, a ridiculous call by the "Situation Room"...
Hockey Operations used video review to determine if Detroit player Stuart used a distinct kicking motion (the fact that the puck bounced off Anaheim defenseman Wisniewski before going in the net is not a factor - Rule 49.2 states "A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team shall be ruled no goal"). The decision of Hockey Ops was that Stuart did not use a distinct kicking motion - Good goal. NHL.com
I have to question that one. I would have voted kicking. Doesn't matter now...all is said and done.

Jonas Hiller was looking rusty in the early moments of the game (I call them early when you play 5+ periods of hockey). More of those soft 5 hole goals and lofty short side opportunities are goals that Hiller can't afford to give up. He definitely found a way to shine through the final 2 periods of overtime as that klepto-glove of his was as lethal as ever. Saving 59 of the 62 shots he faced, I'm beginning to wonder if he knows exactly what's on the line in these playoff games. He always seems so calm and put together...I really wonder if he realizes that this is more than just a "really long game". Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining one bit.

In the end, the important factor was, as always, scoring. Scoring from the typical guys, Ryan Getzlaf and Chris Pronger, as well as the not so common guys, Ryan Carter and Todd Marchant. I really think the not so common guys were the deciding factor in the game. Seeing Carter step up and get a big goal off of a beautiful end board bank by Scott Niedermayer. Josh Green, who for all purposes came out of nowhere (both on the roster and in the game), was just inches from winning the game. Mike Brown, who yet again, had a huge night drawing 2 penalties and showed no signs of effect from his ejection on Friday. Drew Miller and his two break away opportunities and of course, Marchants game winner. It's these guys, the ones who's names aren't mentioned in the headlines...the guys who don't score 60+ points in a season...who are not likely to be the focus of the opponents checking line...THESE GUYS, they're going to win you tight games after 40 minutes of overtime of the playoffs.

More on the Ryan's for just a moment. It really seemed to me that they all played a part in today's game. Some good, some bad. Unfortunately, the bad went to both Ryan Whitney and Bobby Ryan. I still think that there might be something going on with Effin that we as fans aren't aware of, and I think it's put a hindrance on his intensity. He seems a jump behind everyone and it caused Randy Carlyle to move him to the second line and replace him with Carter. I can't say that I like that as a permanent position as I think Carter is a better option on the Selanne line as is Ryan for the Getzlaf-Perry line. But, sometimes the team needs a different look and a spark. It was a good call by Carlyle. In addition, both Getzlaf and Carter were big factors in the game as the both found the net to keep the Ducks in the game. Ryan Whitney on the other hand looks a bit scrambled from time to time. I'd like to see him get more aggressive.

In terms of Scott Niedermayer...I'd like to know what happened to him. I don't think that this was what I'd call a typical Scotty game. He was out of position, out skated and taking sloppy (yes, lame) penalties. I'd like to think that this was just a one time thing, but I felt like he wasn't himself during the first game of this series either. But it happens from time to time...shake it off Scotty!

Overall, the Ducks showed a lot of heart on the ice. They somehow found the energy that Marchant referenced, moments before scoring the game winner, to keep going strong over 100 minutes of hockey. They're going to be tired on Tuesday, but the good news is that Detroit will be tired too. One of the positives from the game is this...they really made Detroit look vulnerable from time to time...and they're coming home 1-1.

GO DUCKS!!!

No comments: