Friday, May 1, 2009

Detroit, Media/Versus, & the NHL = 1; Ducks = 0

--UPDATED!--

This is going to be an even tougher battle than I thought. I somehow forgot that the Ducks would be up against Detroit, the entire Media, and the NHL as a whole. Damn.

Plain and simple, the Ducks are going to have to play like angels if they want a chance in this series. There will be no room for sloppy play, because the entire NHL will be there to ensure the Ducks spend what is beyond their fair share of time in the penalty box.

So lets get right to it.

The Mike Brown hit.


--UPDATED--

Here's a still image from the opposite angle. Thanks to Morbo over at BOC






I think he's going to get a suspension. There is no way you lay a hit like that against the precious and untouchable Red Wings and not get slapped with a suspension...it doesn't matter how guilty or innocent you are. Of course Mike Brown feels he's innocent;
“I just hit him with my shoulder,” Brown said. “My elbow wasn’t up. My stick wasn’t up. It was just a clean hit. I wasn’t meaning to do any harm or anything. I was just playing physical. His head was down. I think they called it because he was cut and on the ice, but I think that was probably because of his visor. He had just gotten rid of the puck. It wasn’t late or anything.” OC Register

And of course, Jiri Hudler thinks it was dirty;
"I didn't see him coming," Hudler said. "It happened really quick. I didn't have the puck for at least two seconds. It was kind of late, but there's nothing I can do right now. Obviously, it's a hit on the head. I don't want to be out of line, but I hope (the League) will get a look at it and do the right thing." From the Rink

And for a change, not every media personnel is kissing Detroit's ass. Bob McKenzie from TSN;
"It's really up to the National Hockey League to decide what is it that they want to do. I think the NHL is going to look at it and say it's a five-minute major, it happened midway through the first period, Mike Brown is out of this game, there was no severe injury to Hudler other than the blood, he came back and he's playing, and the Ducks had to play with 11 forwards the rest of the game. There may not be a suspension in this case."Puck Daddy


My opinion? I think that the 5 minute major AND the game misconduct are more than enough. Late hit? A bit. However, a "bit" is more than enough and I'll accept that. Hit to the head? NO. Malicious? NO. Where did the blood come from? HIS OWN VISOR! I honestly don't think he deserves a suspension for the hit. Will they try and make this an example? Probably, even though it's a poor case in my opinion. If the Ducks were on the other end would I want a suspension? In all honesty, even with my passionate dislike of the Red Wings, I'm going to say no. I'd like to think I have a good ability to step out of the box.

That's my opinion. I want yours too...

Moving right along...

The Ducks lost this game because they were lazy in the final moments of the game. As much as I love Corey Perry and Bobby Effin Ryan, I'm sorry, but they failed me tonight. What were you boys doing STANDING AROUND?! There is no way you are going to win any games against Detroit if you're busy hanging around waiting for them to make a mistake. It's not going to happen. Instead, they waited for you to make a costly mistake in your own defensive end, and made you pay for it with less than 1 minute to go in the game. Maybe Effin doesn't know what it's like to see a goal in Joe Louis Arena with less than a minute to play, but Perry should remember that it's those last minute ditch efforts that won him a cup 2 years ago.

The Ducks had their chances tonight. A few posts and shots gone wide...but again, I'll refer you to this thought: It's not how you play, it's whether you win or lose. Those posts and wide misses are part of this game. You have to find a way to make those opportunities bounce in your favor. There was a huge spark of intensity from Teemu Selanne and his second linemates tonight. The chances for those guys are there. Andrew Ebbett, playing as hard as ever, taking hit after hit and still finding a way to get to the puck. Erik Christensen was right on the doorstep a few times tonight, and with a bounce here or there, the puck is in the back of the net. These guys are going to have to be the havoc makers in this series. I know Selanne can do it, the Ducks are just going to need a few more guys to step it up.

The Ducks have the ability to wear teams down. We saw that happen from time to time throughout this match up tonight and we saw it happen numerous times against San Jose. If they can continue to move the puck well, SKATE HARD and play smart defensive hockey, they can frustrate these Red Wings. I don't think the Ducks played great tonight and in fact, I think we've seen them play BETTER here in the last few months. If you ask me...that's a great sign. I think this means that a better game is on the way, and if that was Detroit's best effort...well...

Anaheim fans have to remember one thing. This is definite bonus hockey for us. It looked like Anaheim wasn't going to have a chance in hell at making the playoffs back in January. Had they made it...there seemed no way to get past the first round. Well, they've done BOTH of those things. We're being treated to a special brand of bonus hockey and I think the team knows that. I don't think this roster is going to give up without a fight.

And I kinda think they don't like Detroit as much as the rest of us do.

GO DUCKS!!!

2 comments:

Suz Broughton said...

I listened to Randy Carlyle statement on Brown's hit after the game and he stated the puck had just left his stick and watching the video it looks that way, just a few seconds. His elbow never went up. It just was a good hard hit a few seconds too late.
I think he will get suspended for the series. I don't think he should, but I think he will.
Remember Perry's hit in the middle of the season? I think he was suspended for four games? I think he deserved it. It was an elbow to the head from behind, but I think this looked a lot worse than it was.
Great post Sara.
Suz

SK eleven said...

Yea, I have to agree, esp about the Perry hit. That was blatant. I don't think he deserved 4 games for it, but he definitely deserved the suspension.

My comment elsewhere was that Hudler just learned a valuable lesson. Don’t skate around admiring your drop passes, or someone is going to come and knock you on your ass. Most importantly, beware of your visor. I don't think Brown deserves a suspension, but he'll get on for being a in a Ducks uniform and for hitting a Red Wing. That's the sad truth to the matter.

On the whole, no matter what happens, the Ducks do have something positive to take from this game...in that they had a VERY good chance. Laziness will get you every time...next time they wont be so giving!