Friday, May 8, 2009

And you played into it...

FIRST! I had SO MUCH FUN with Suz Broughton! She and I had a lot of laughs, great sliders from Ruby's, fun with the fans around us, tons of warm up picture time (although we didn't take ONE picture together - how lame is that?!), and she even twisted my arm into buying 3 more Ducks shirts (at least that's what I'm telling my empty wallet). I can't thank her husband, Larry, enough for being unable to attend. What a good man! Suz is quite the fan, and she's made some suggestions for off season blogs (I'll debate on whether or not I want to share some of the stories however). Even more impressive...she's got her OWN game day shoes (that's a blog for another day that I WILL be sharing)! Thanks again Broughtons...you rock! I can't wait until the next game!

Here's a great shot that Suz took of Mr. Ryan Carter for me...


Alright...onto game 4.2....

I've ignored the eerie similarities that everyone has been referencing regarding this playoff match up between the Ducks and the Red Wings...until now.

Of all the eerie similarities...heading back to Detroit tied 2-2, just as in the 2007 WCF, is the one I was hoping wouldn't be repeated.

I usually go home after the game and re-watch the recording - highlights, goals, penalties, questionable moments during the game - to get a recap and a reassess my emotions from the win/loss. I was unable to do that last night and therefore won't be nearly as opinionated about last night's match up as I'd like to be.

I knew that this game was going to be in Detroit's favor from the get go. Whether anyone will admit it or not, there was going to be a bit of a make up in Detroit's favor after game 3 ended the way it did. Unfortunately, the Ducks obviously felt that this was going to be the case as well...and they played into it. They allowed Detroit to walk all over them and did very little to fight back.

I'm not going to complain about the crowd last night. I always laugh at how the Yankee Detroit fans are so proud of themselves for their presence in an opponents arena. We're talking about a successful original 6 team franchise...they have bandwagon fans everywhere. Don't be so surprised when they are in your building.

Overall, the Ducks were playing the lazy brand of hockey we've seen from them all too often this season. A huge contrast in last night's game, compared to Tuesday's game in particular, was the Ducks' inability to shut down the neutral zone effectively. When it comes down to it, the Ducks have seen two very different opponents here in the post season. San Jose, in my opinion, plays a very similar style to the Ducks. A shorter, chip and retrieve type of game with a physical aspect similar to the way Anaheim plays the puck. Detroit plays a much smoother passing game, with an attempt to control the puck from one end of the ice to the other. If the Ducks are unable to put a stop to these successful offensive transitions...trouble...

Unfortunately for Jonas Hiller, he was bound to have an off night. I don't know that I can blame him completely as it seemed the defense was very off of their game last night as well. In fact, everyone seemed to be chasing Detroit, chasing the puck, chasing their own bodies since they were clearly not moving their feet...and they paid for it. Hiller's soft 5-hole goals were going to catch up to him eventually, and I'm really surprised Detroit has yet to exploit the fact that when they take shots directly in front of the crease, Hiller is quite soft. It was nice to see JS Giguere get some time in net, but I'll be honest, I hope that we see Hiller in net on Sunday.

There has been a lot of talk about the Ducks being insanely out shot over the past 10 post season games. Quality over quantity in my opinion. The Ducks may not be talking as many shots as their opponent, but I'd be interested in a stat showing timed puck possession. I would bet that those numbers are probably more reflective of why the Ducks have had success. They may not be taking as many shots as their opponents, but they're making them count. In the end, the scoreboard is all that matters anyway.

This is killing me, but I really hope that I don't have to change his name from Bobby Effin Ryan to Effin Bobby Ryan (I usually save that for when Ryan Getzlaf does things to piss me off). I'm still sticking to my "he's hurt" assumption, but it's definitely clear that something is bothering him. I don't think it's simply the pressure of the playoffs, I think it's the pressure from EVERYWHERE ELSE that is potentially getting to him. I think in particular it's the pressure from the 2 or 3 guys in Red Wings jerseys who immediately attach themselves to him once he touches the puck. I still believe he'll find a way to break through. Maybe he shouldn't have been so damn amazing during the regular season causing a mini post season slump to make him stand out like a sore Thronton thumb. Hang in there fans...he's still the Effin we all know and love.

Also, what happened to Getzlaf last night? He disappeared during the third (much like Effin did in game 5 against San Jose and hasn't been the same since) and I noticed immediately, but haven't seen anything other than "he's sick". I'm not buying it. Anyone have another thought?

Finally, I'd just like to mention how much I loved Francois Beauchemin's fight last night. Again, I'm not a fan of the fighting, but that felt right last night. It was a great fight...and yet again someone was surprised to find out Beauchaboy is a lefty! LOVE IT!

In the end, I hope that last night's game didn't put doubt into the team's head. They're going to need to be the better team on Sunday. They need to do it for their moms...for Ryan Getzlaf's 24th birthday...and for the pure reason that this is the post season, there is no room for error.

GO DUCKS!!!

2 comments:

jer (thelinear) said...

not a fan of the fighting?

it's an important aspect of the game. not only do you have to worry about the actual game itself, but you have to worry about what grudges are held against you from the last period, game, season, postseason meetup, etc...

that can really get into a player's head, and make or break them on the ice.

It was a shame when the NHL did away with the enforcer, and I hope it doesn't go much further than that.

hey look, off the ice, i'm a total pacifist! but this is HOCKEY. :)

SK eleven said...

LOL...I have an off season blog coming about my view on fighting.

Let's just say this...I'm not a fan of it...but I totally understand it and wouldn't want it removed from the game.

I'll just leave it at that for now! :)