Monday, June 1, 2009

I've got...

I've decided to make a pick for the finals.

I personally would love it if they were just cancelled out right, but apparently, the NHL feels it's necessary to finish this season out with a winner...whatever.

With that in mind, I'll go ahead and make a pick (yea yea yea, I'm two games late...but that's really irrelevant since I'm not making a prediction, just picking who'd I'd like see win)...

One would think this is cut and dry seeing as how much I hate the Detroit Red Wings. Not so my friend.

My pick?

Pittsburgh...or Detroit.

I'll explain.

First of all, I have no second favorite team. No team in third, no fourth...basically, there is a 28 way tie for 29th and Detroit is 30th (yes, I hate them the most). It comes down to the lesser of the evils. This year, it's Pittsburgh.

I'd really like to see Pittsburgh take it this year for a couple of reasons. One, they've got Chris Kunitz. I'm okay with him winning a cup over there. Two, they're not Detroit - duh. Three, and this is probably the biggest reason...Sidney Crosby. Yea, I don't hate him like a majority of other NHL fans (who aren't Pens fans) do. I think it would be great for the NHL if their golden poster boy was seen raising a cup. I'd be okay with it and it might just help the NHL in the whole sports world. We can't deny that he's a great player, there is no question about that. In fact, we can't deny that he might just possibly be playing with a player who is as great as he is in Evgeni Malkin. Let's grant Gary Bettman and the NHL their ultimate fantasy, and let the kid win a cup.

So yea, I'd like to see the golden boy, his amazing teammate, an ex Duck, and anyone not wearing a Red Wings jersey win the cup this year.

----

I pick Detroit.

"But wait! You picked Pittsburgh and you JUST SAID you HATE Detroit, you HATE them more than anyone else! Why would you want them to win the cup?!"

Ah. Here's where logic gets kinda crazy. IF IF IF IF Detroit is going to walk out of the 2008-2009 season with their second straight cup (excuse me, I'm off to the bathroom to vomit at that thought), I hope they do it in 4...or 5 games. You see, that would give an insane amount of credit to one, Anaheim Ducks. The only team in the post season to make Detroit look vulnerable. The only team to push them to the brink and have threatened them legitimately. It would almost feel as though, had they knocked off Detroit like COULD have or SHOULD have...that maybe, just MAYBE, the Ducks could have lifted the cup this season. For a team who struggled so much during the season, this crazy line of logical thinking (I'm thinking if I use words like LOGICAL, my thought process will posses more merit than it likely does) makes me feel BETTER about where we stand at the end of this crazy season.

So when it comes down to it...I'd like to see Pittsburgh pull it out and do it for maybe "good" reasons, and I'd like to see Detroit SMOTHER the Pens for my more crazy, Ducks biased line of thinking.

Go Pittsbbb. Ggggggggggg Detr.....yea I can't do it.

Go figure.

GO DUCKS!!!

5 comments:

Suz Broughton said...

Good points. But, I'm a little unclear on your feelings toward Detroit.

jer said...

I think the Pens have a great team. But I think way too much credit is given to Crosby when you have Malkin who is the better player. And not afraid to take a hit. Crosby won't take a hit for the life of him.

Jenelyn Russo said...

I totally follow your "crazy" thinking on picking Detroit. I'd like to see them win as well (and I'm certain I'm in the minority on this as a Ducks fan). All those who said the playoffs were over after the Ducks lost to the Wings in 7 were right. As of now, Detroit has only lost 4 times in this postseason--3 to the Ducks. I'll add some more crazy lines of thought: It would be sweet justice for the Ducks to win the Cup next season, taking it back from the team that took it from them. AND, I just really want Bobby Ryan to win the Cup before Sidney Crosby. I'm not a Crosby hater; he's super talented. I just want #9 to win it first.

Chris (aka Ducks54) said...

I follow your logic, but I think I still want the Pens to win it a little more. Although, that doesn't change the facts of the matter. One, that the Wings will get the cup (barf!) and two, the Ducks are the second best club in the NHL!

SK eleven said...

@ Jenelyn Russo

OH! I never thought about the whole Bobby Ryan winning first thing! Good point!!!

AH! another point for picking damn Detroit...I don't know how I feel about that! :)