Thursday, June 11, 2009

What about the goal-tending?!

Funny story...I literally had the previous post almost 100% done...and then I heard the Mike Brown news. I rushed to finish it up...and then realized that I forgot to post my position on the goal-tending situation! (Thanks tu madre!)

So here it is...

With the recent contract for François Allaire and the now "Anaheim Ducks of Toronto", there have been many questions about what might happen next with JS Giguere and Jonas Hiller. This past season, the Ducks saw an interesting change in the goal tending power as Hiller finished off the regular season allowing the Ducks to make the playoffs when many doubted they could. Hiller also held strong for the Ducks through two difficult rounds in the playoffs by embarrassing the Presidents trophy San Jose Sharks and posing an unexpected challenge for the damn Detroit Red Wings.

I'd like to think that both goal tenders are staying put for the time being. In all honesty, I don't know much about any of the guys waiting in the wings and I don't know that anyone is prepared to take a back up spot. However, Jiggy has made it clear that he has no intention of being someones backup, and to be honest...he's being paid WAY too much for that to be the case. On the other hand, Hiller has proven that he does not deserve to be sitting on the bench either.

I think the Ducks are going to allow these two to battle it out in camp and during the early parts of the season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a move if Jiggy continues to struggle. I don't think Randy Carlyle is ready to give up on Jiggy just yet, and also I think he has tons of confidence in Hiller after his performance over the last few months of the season, ultimately making his decision very difficult.

Who do I want to be my 1A? Jonas Hiller.

Unfortunately, I think the Ducks may have seen the best of Jiggy. I don't think he's a bad goaltender, and he may be as good as he was in the 2007 playoffs, but I can't imagine him getting any better at this point.

As for Hiller, he's been improving exponentially over the past 2 seasons. While much of this credit is likely thanks to Allaire, it is very possible we will see Hiller continue to improve and better his game over the next season and many more to come as he gains experience in net.

Simply...I see Hiller on his way up, and Jiggy on his way down.

No matter who's A and who's B...I don't know that I would complain.

GO DUCKS!!!

6 comments:

Matt said...

Jiggy's getting paid ALOT to sit on the bench right now.... he has 2years left at $6M per! If he's going to back-up, his trade value would go in the toilet... if you think Hiller is the man going forward, wouldn't you consider a trade? I know you'd want to have a capable back-up, but there are more important positions on the team that Back-Up Goaltender (not to mention, better ways to spend $6M of cap space!!!

Sandi said...

I agree with you 100%. Hiller is the logical choice for the #1 spot, no question. Giguere is a great tender, but he has reached his peak. My feeling is we will see him traded in the coming months - perhaps to Burke/Allaire, perhaps elsewhere. Maybe they realize he's reached his peak as well ...

SK eleven said...

@Matt...I totally agree. I expect that if it turns out that Hiller is number 1, then Jiggy will be traded. I can't imagine that other teams wouldn't want him though, he's still quality. Of course this is all IF he agrees to a trade since he has the NTC. And yes...I'd LOVE the extra cap $$!!!

@carattop...something tells me IF he does get traded, he'll find that extra boost once again.

tu madre said...

extremely tough decisions concerning the Ducks roster.

I cant wait to see what we end up with!

hurry up next season.

SK eleven said...

I have a feeling we're in for a few surprises this off-season. Anything can happen.

Chris (aka Ducks54) said...

I agree that we should go with Hiller. As much as I love Jiggy, I do think his best days are behind him. Although, if we do trade him, I'm just hoping it'll be to an Eastern Conference team cuz I wouldn't want to play against him!