Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Playoff Supersitions and OCD

I suppose it's time to break out the "non game day" posts. It's too soon for these, but it's the best way to start moving on and begin looking forward to the 2009-2010 season. I have a few lined up for this off season, and this one in particular will likely be the oddest of the bunch.

In light of the Ducks' recent playoff madness (and even more recently, Sidney Crosby picking up the Prince of Whales trophy after defeating the Carolina Hurricanes for the Eastern Conference title), I was thinking about all the crazy superstitions I've employed this season, and...well, originally I thought I should share them. THEN, I started typing them all out and...wow...this could be VERY embarrassing.

Everyone has superstitions when it comes to the playoffs. From where you watch the game, to growing your own playoff beard, to my long list of MUST DO'S...there's usually something. In fact, even UJ - a new hockey fan, didn't trim his beard while the Ducks were battling it out. Welcome to the hockey club UJ!

My superstitious ways have caused me to inherit a serious case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I would meticulously do little things throughout the day that I felt would turn into a win. Yes, they're completely insane, have no bearings what-so-ever on whether the teams wins or loses, are completely irrelevant to hockey in general...but I'll be damned, they made me feel better.

Now, theses superstitions aren't just during the playoffs, but they definitely intensify once the month of April hits. More importantly, they change every season...so listing them here is not a "jinx".

There are many superstitions that I make others partake in. For one thing, I don't want to hear about how they are going to "win". Until they've won...there is no talking about it. In addition, "game day licorice", it worked in 2007- so I made my whole office participate this year (it was going well until Headphones Brady decided that he needed to implement his own rules on game day licorice...he was cut off after that).

There are so many little things that I do on my own. These are the OCD rituals that I don't speak of...until now.

Let me take you through my day, and please keep in mind...there is no rhyme or reason for ANY of these rituals...they manifest themselves in different forms season after season...and they are completely and utterly INSANE.

The night before a game, I wash my hair using my MOM's shampoo instead of my own.

In the morning, I curl my hair. Now this is where it gets tricky. I use 2 different clips to hold my hair into sections (this already sounds crazy). It is very important that when I remove the clip from my hair that I place clip on the handle of the basket with my left hand, then my right hand before putting it away (yes, it's THAT specific!).

In the morning I put my jewelry on in this order: bracelet (until it broke, then I began putting a link of that bracelet in my right pocket), Ducks charm necklace, watch, left earring, then right earring, then I place a single earring in my left pocket (I lost the other earring the weekend of the Home and Home series against San Jose in April). I put my makeup on in the car (usually when I exit the 91 at Lakewood Blvd - but the specific location was not important. Don't ask me why that was not as obsessive as the whole "hair clip" fiasco- whatever.).

I had three "Let's Go Ducks!" towels laid out in my room, each would get a tap before heading out for the day (this is just getting worse...).

Many of you may have seen Tweets from me after the Ducks would find themselves down in the game to "switch it up!". Changing seats is a must when things aren't going well. Likewise, staying in your current position is just as important when they are winning.

On home game days I would wear an orange shirt and of course the Ducks Nikes. Away game days I wear white shirts and the Ducks Vans. I have certain game day undergarments and specific jeans (I did A LOT of laundry during the playoffs).

I have 3 player jerseys. I wore Ryan Carter to his first game back after being a healthy scratch for far too many games (it was completely random that I chose his jersey that day). As long as the Ducks were winning at home (and I was in attendance) Carter was my jersey. After a loss however, that would get switched up to either Getzlaf or Selanne. I would then wear that player until I was in attendance for a loss. This is my regular season trend as well, it will always be.

I have a scarf that I made a few seasons ago. I always bring it, and rarely ever wear it. I fold it in half, then in half again, and place it on my lap, with my neatly folded orange towel. Both are in easy position to grab when I jumped to my feet and cheer for a goal...waving my towel and scarf crazily over my head.

I always parked my car at work in the same aisle, I always typed "GO DUCKS!!!" with 3 exclamation points, made a countdown til puck drop and I never listened to "Bro Hymm" during the playoffs.

I attended game 4 against Detroit with Suz Broughton, and when we got there, I informed her to do exactly as she had done during the last game she attended (I knew they had won that particular game). I, however, forgot to have the mandatory Zebra Corn and my red Gatorade that I normally have (I suppose I'll have to take the blame for that one). She knew how superstitious I was when I told her to change nothing, and seemed even more concerned that we might not be able to go to a game together again because they lost game 4 (Don't worry Suz, we've got 41 games next season to attend together if we'd like...I had TOO much fun with you to pass that up!).

I'm embarrassed to say...I think I'm leaving tons of little things out.

Looks like I'll have to find a whole new list of superstitions for next year, since these clearly didn't work...and I'm sure they'll all be just as insane.

The important thing here is that as hockey fans, and sports fans in general, it's so much fun to embrace the superstition. No matter how crazy your rituals are, or how OCD you become making sure they are played out perfectly, it's the fans way to put themselves in the game. I've been a superstitious sports fan for as long as I can remember (ah, pacing in front of the TV in perfect stride while watching the Lakers defeat Portland in Game 7 during their playoff run in 2000- something I'll never forget.) and I'll continue to be a superstitious sports fan, until I'm officially declared Obsessive Compulsive.

I know I'm not the only one.

Sometimes, like Sidney Crosby showed the hockey world last night, it's a good idea to switch up those little superstitions...maybe it'll make a difference for them this season. However, here's hoping that he's stayed far away from the Stanley Cup...that's not a superstition to be messed with!

GO DUCKS!!! (<-- 3 exclamation points!)

5 comments:

tu madre said...

wow, your crazy!!!

I have my rituals as well, fun stuff.

SK eleven said...

hahaha, I was hoping that wouldn't be the response...but I understand.

Suz Broughton said...

I had no idea the depth of your OCD! So awesome! I still think you will have reservations going with me again, maybe if you sit in a different seat!

SK eleven said...

You must remember...unless I had told you about this "complex" no one would ever know! It's the little things that make a difference (or so I tell myself!)

And yes, I'd sit in a different seat! :)

Chris (aka Ducks54) said...

Awesome blog! Suz introduced me to your pages, and I'm glad she did. Can't wait to read more of your words =D