Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dear Commissioners...

Mr. Commissioner...

Lend me an ear...all of you, for I have a bone to pick.

I've been hearing about Manny Ramirez in the news again lately (even more recently Sammy Sosa), and it makes my blood boil (and it's not just because I hate baseball).

To begin with, I have a real problem with an athletes salary, especially those making 20+ million dollars a year. However, I have an even bigger problem with athletes who have broken the law (I'm not talking about a speeding ticket, I'm talking serious law breaking...like killings, shootings, dog fights - you get the idea) and those who are under the influence of some illegal substance for their performance.

Athletes are role models, whether they like it or not.

All around the world, men, women, and children look up to their favorite sports stars as role models. These elite athletes are someone to aspire to, someone who has everything, can do anything, can be anything.
ROLE MODELS: Individuals compare themselves with reference groups of people who occupy the social role to which the individual aspires. The term has passed into general use to mean any "person who serves as an example, whose behavior is emulated by others." Wikipedia

Now, I may not necessarily want to be the next NHL superstar (I can't skate to save my life...so I've eliminated hockey as my future profession...it's ok - I've come to terms with it), but I admire the hell out of some of them, on and off the ice, for the things they do.

I'm finding that it's harder to say that about a lot of athletes these days.

It's a PRIVILEGE to be a professional athlete...NOT A RIGHT.

No one is guaranteed to play professional sports. It takes hard work, an immense amount of skill and talent, and a dedicated work ethic. There are SO MANY people in this world who would kill to be in Manny Ramirez's shoes, and yet, he has abused his talent and power. Here is no new piece of information...you're an instantaneous celebrity, whether you like it or not. You are someone that is inspiring to people all over the world. People who want to play like you, dress like you, wear your shoes, sport your jersey. These people emulate your cross over, your fancy stick work, your juke on the 50 yard line, they call their shot all the same. It is your job, whether you like it or not, to put forth your best, day in and day out, on and off the playing field.

So when you are suspended for taking steroids, caught killing dogs in your backyard, in jail for possession of deadly weapons...I would hope that same day...the Commissioner would send you this simple letter.

----
Dear (...insert ungrateful athlete name here...),

This league no longer requires your services. It is an honor, a privilege, and a very rare opportunity to play for the NHL/NBA/NFL/MLB...and should only be given to those who appreciate and value this HONOR most highly. You have violated the simple expectations set forth by this league to remain an honorable citizen of society. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Clean out your locker.

The Commissioner.
----
Maybe the MLB would be losing a fantastic talent if Manny Ramirez is let go permanently, but I believe there should be a no tolerance policy in all of sports. Just think, it might make athletes appreciate their time there, appreciate their fans more, appreciate the sanctity of the game. It might make competition fair, true, and real. A 50 game slap on the wrist isn't going to stop someone else from being just as stupid and pathetic...and an awful role model to men, women, and more importantly, CHILDREN everywhere.

If this is a trend of history, then that is a shame. I want to watch talented athletes with NATURAL ability impress me, show me that there is a reason they are getting paid MILLIONS to do what they do. I don't think there should be second chances in this scenario...we are talking about ADULTS who should know RIGHT FROM WRONG.

Hey professional sports! Grow some balls...expect more from the people representing you! Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Michael Vick (SO MANY MORE)...they're an embarrassment to you!

5 comments:

tu madre said...

Remember when you were younger and got in trouble, and your parents would say "I'm not even mad at you, I'm just extremely dissapointed." Man, I hated that.

Anyway, once again I agree with you(come on guys, kids look up to you, do it for the kids).
Great post.

Atleast, generally speaking, the NHL is probably the classiest of the pro sports. With the NBA being the least (IMO).

!!!

SK eleven said...

haha, yea, I guess it's kinda like that!

I'm glad to hear someone agrees with me, I was worried maybe I was the only one!

And I'd have to agree with you as well, the NHL is probably the classiest of the super leagues. However, they aren't without their own problems...

Athletes are paid way too much to just do whatever the hell they want.

tu madre said...

You should check out Daniel Tosh's comedic rant on athletes and steroids(its on "true stories I made up"). Its hilarious, in fact his whole standup act is great. Too lazy to get you a link.Anyway, have a great day.

Chris (aka Ducks54) said...

I agree with you. Unfortunately, I think the leagues look beyond such deplorable behavior because they've got dollar signs in their eyes.

It's really too bad, cuz I totally agree with you.

SK eleven said...

You're right too. Unfortunately money lost by removing all of the "stars" is not worth cleaning up the image of professional sports.

It might just take 1 really good "example" to make a big change though.